Here are two recipes for using up leftover mincemeat after Christmas. I have to admit though that I have been known to buy mincemeat especially to make the mincemeat buns.
Mincemeat & Marzipan Loaf Cake
This is a particularly good recipe for using up several Christmas ingredients that you may have bought to make your Christmas Cake. Also very good for that block of white marzipan that was bought by mistake instead of white icing. Please note that if you don’t like marzipan don’t make this cake! It doesn’t mask the taste or melt the marzipan into the mixture. Instead, you end up with nice chunks of marzipan throughout the cooked cake.
115g/4oz wholemeal self-raising flour, sifted
115g/4oz self-raising flour, sifted
115g/4oz soft baking spread (e.g ‘Stork’), cut into pieces
85g/3oz dark Muscovado sugar
115g/4oz marzipan, cut into cubes
2 medium eggs
30ml/2tbsp Demerara sugar
*1kg (2lb) loaf tin, greased and lined or use paper liner
- Place both flours into a bowl, add spread and rub in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the dark Muscovado sugar and marzipan and mix well.
- Beat the eggs together and then mix with the mincemeat.
- Add the egg and mincemeat mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
Put the mixture into a prepared 1 kg (2lb) loaf tin. Sprinkle the top with the Demerara sugar.
- Cook at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, gas mark 4, for 50 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. Use a skewer to test if it is cooked all the way through – it should come out clean.
Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
These taste like little, light fruit cakes with a slight tang due to the mincemeat. I use mixed dried fruit as I always have it in the cupboard, but you can use just currants, raisins or sultanas instead. As I bake a lot I have several muffin tins and so I am able to prepare 2 trays of the buns at once and then bake one after another.
250g/8oz mixed dried fruit
150g/5oz caster sugar
150g/50z soft baking spread
250g/8oz self-raising flour
*24 paper cake cases
* 12 hole bun/muffin tin
1, Preheat oven to 160°C, gas mark 3.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. If required turn the tin around halfway through for even cooking.
5. Transfer the cases to a wire rack and leave to cool.